Sunday, April 6, 2014

Highly Recommended: Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

I absolutely LOVE this book. I don't know why I wasn't aware of it while I was pregnant. Maybe I did hear about it but it just didn't register, I'm not sure. But let me tell you, it was like reading all of the best advice in one easy place (unfortunately in my case, this was after I had done multiple internet searches and weeded out all of the rotten advice). Written by Le Leche League, it includes just about every topic dealing with breastfeeding one could think of. But it is the quality of information included in this book that I appreciated the most. This book also does a great service to normalizing breastfeeding, particularly "extended breastfeeding". I will say that it has the potential to make some moms feel guilty if they end up weaning before one year. It makes sense that the book highlights all the ways that breastmilk is the best source of nourishment for babies, it is a book about breastfeeding after all. But I think it is important to remember, that while breast is best, the mother is more important than her milk and women should never feel like they have failed in any way.

 Bottom line: Read the book, use the information, and take pride in giving your little one such a precious gift, whether it be for one day or seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment