Saturday, April 12, 2014

When Breastfeeding Doesn't Work Out

It's pretty clear from my blog that I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding. I love breastfeeding and its has become a major source of pride for me. But, I also realize I was very lucky not to come up against any major "booby" traps (I really didn't plan to use a lame pun I'm just too tired to think of another expression-I swear). Sure, I made conscious decisions in attempt to make things go more smoothly and, even then, I did encounter some obstacles to overcome at the beginning.  However, I never had to deal with nurses giving bottles or pacifiers at the hospital or doctors threatening me with slow weight gain, because those things would have been harder for me to deal with (I'm not the best with confrontation). And let me just say, my hat goes off to all the women who exclusively pump or spend an extended amount of time pumping while taking care of their babies. I don't think I would have been able to do that while staying sane. And that is the real goal here: healthy, happy babies and sane mothers---and sometimes formula helps to achieve that goal. Please don't interpret this as me advising you to give up if things get tough, that is not what I mean at all. I just don't want anyone to feel guilty about not breastfeeding their children. So, if that is you, know this: you did not fail! You are still a fantastic mom! I've said it before and I will say it again; a mother is much more than her milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment