Wednesday, May 1, 2019

This is Owl & Free Printable Craft




Yesterday I held a story + craft with the ADORABLE book This is Owl! This is an interactive books that asks kids to clap, tap, blow, even "twit-twoo" to help tell the story! The kids LOVE that they get to really participate in the story, and who doesn't love a cute little owl!?
I really like to include a craft at the end of my story times, so for this week I decided to draw an Owl for each of the kids to color, glue onto a half sheet of black construction paper, and then "build a nest" with more construction paper cut into tiny strips.



After a little thought, I decided to make a printable Owl that was very basic, so that kids could make each one their own by adding different colors, patterns, etc. Watching each child customize his/her artwork always amazes me, it's like a tiny glimpse into what's going on in their heads.


I love how my almost three year old only wanted yellow strips, and added "Q's" in her sky (her name is Quinn).

I also love how my five year old thought her picture needed a branch :p.


You can order the book for your family  here (it would also make a great gift!). And download the printable owls here! I have two per page, since I was making it for my story time. I figure many of you might have more than one child, or maybe you want to color an owl of your own ;).

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. We loved this craft, thank you! I made one along with my 3 year old daughter!

    ReplyDelete