Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ameda Vs. Medela

Long story short I have used both the Purely Yours (Ameda) and the Pump in Style Advanced (Medela) double electric breast pumps and, while I've found them both to be good pumps, I have to say I like the Medela brand better. While the Purely Yours has a free standing set up, that is really the only benefit, and I actually like the built in protective case of the Pump in Style even though you can't stand the bottles up in it. With Ameda's Purely Yours pump, there are lots of fragile pieces that have the potential to cause trouble; the silicone diaphragms don't work as well if they get wet (which happens when milk gets in the top of the pump and it does happen) and even the tiniest tear in the white valves compromises their integrity resulting in dramatic drop in the suction of the pump. Plus, it is very hard to find replacement parts for Ameda in any store, you basically have to get it online and wait for it to ship. Medela parts are found in many stores (Target, Burlington) and the Pump in Style is designed without any delicate pieces.

So to recap:

Medela                               Ameda
Pump in Style                    Purely Yours
Built in case                       Free standing (holds bottles)
Parts sold in stores             Can only find parts online
Convenient design              Delicate parts which can cause trouble

And probably most importantly, I pumped 2oz more than I ever had the first day I switched from Ameda to Medela.

Winner: Medela

No comments:

Post a Comment