Friday, February 28, 2014

Nursing in Public

I guess I'm not very modest but I don't get embarrassed about breastfeeding in public at all, even without a cover. The way I see it, if someone has a problem with me breastfeeding in public, its just that: their problem. Not mine. I just don't see it as sexual in the least. If I wear a tank top underneath and pull that down and then lift my overshirt there is basically nothing showing anyway. It just looks like I have a snuggly, sleeping baby. I have had TWO experierenes when I haven't used a cover in public and poeple would lean in and say "aww so sweet". Who knows, maybe they were undercover lactavists, but I'm pretty sure they didn't even know I was breastfeeding. Compare that to the completely failed attempts where I have tried to use a cover and just managed to bring MORE attention to myself.

I'm actually more uncomfortable nursing without a cover in a few situations at home or in familiar private spaces rather than "in public". Each tends to include a male presence of some kind and people who I actually care about.
Situation one: breastfeeding around a woman relative or friend when her husband/boyfriend is also there. Does she expect me to cover up? Is she going to think I am trying to expose my self to her partner if I don't? Probably not, but it still might make them uncomfortable.
Situation two: breastfeeding around male relatives.  I'm sure said male relative feels awkward because breasts are heavily sexualized in our society and sexuality does not mix well with family.

So, in each case a downward spiral of awkwardness will usually ensue: they become uncomfortable and then I'm feeling ashamed because I'm making them uncomfortable, and all I'm trying to do is to feed my baby! At these times I have had mixed success with a recieving blanket or even an unwrapped infinity scarf. It's becoming harder to cover though, now that she is older and wants go kick things off. Again, I feel that an under tank top, over shirt combination gives me the most coverage, and then I just do the best I can with a cover.

I will say that both situations above exclude my dad.  If my breastfeeding in front of him does make him uncomfortable, I can't tell in the least, and I am so appreciative for that! So for anyone who knows a breastfeeding mom, please try your best not to wig out, it will only make her feel worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment