Monday, May 5, 2014

Words of Wisdom: Buy Second-Hand

I say while your pregnant (with your first or others), go ahead and get some things new. In my opinion, it is probably the most exciting time in life and there is no better cause for celebration. But I'm sure you will eventually settle into the same realization that I (and many moms before me) have: second hand is a mom's best friend.

Baby clothes and accessories are my weakness. I don't really know why, but the cuteness of ity bity baby polos and darling headbands are just too hard for me to resist! Baby clothes are worn for such a small amount of time, especially special event outfits, that it really makes so much sense to buy second hand. This also makes it possible for me to purchase some of the pricier brands that I would never be able to afford new. I am ashamed to admit that I have literally spent a few of my breaks at work in bidding wars on Ebay!

The same "buy used" strategy also works for a lot of baby gear and toys, with the exception of car seats and older cribs probably. Just like clothes, the gear you buy in the first year is primarily just used for a few months at a time. Babies grow out of bouncers and swings by about 5 months, breastfeeding pillows like the mumbo or boppy are great but also grown out of usually around 6 months, excersaucers and jumperoos are really only popular with babies from 4-8months, you get the picture. Plus, there is no way to predict what items babies will like or dislike and it really sucks to spend a bunch of money on something you never use. Trust me, I've been there.

I recommend finding garage sales of people you know who take good care of their things. While I was pregnant, I sent my mom to a garage sale back in my hometown that my cheering coach was throwing. She has a preschool age daughter so I knew that there would be tons of good items and that I would feel really comfortable knowing where they came from. You can also find lots of local Facebook swap/sell groups for infant and children's stuff.

But the best strategy for baby gear is borrowing from a friend or family member. Even if you just borrow it to try it out, you will be making smarter purchases and not wasting time on things you won't use.

No comments:

Post a Comment